Saturday, December 23, 2006

Movie Review

I promised a review of the movie "Goal" and I always follow through on my promises . . . For those of you who don't know the movie (I hadn't heard of it until a few days before I borrowed it from a friend), it's about a young man, originally from Mexico but living in Los Angeles, who dreams of becoming a professional soccer player. He meets a man from England who comes to see one of his soccer games, and the man talks him into going to England to try out for Newcastle. I'll let you watch the rest of the movie to see what happens.

Anyway, I really enjoyed the movie. I'm not much for sports movies since I don't play any sports, but I hear so many people talking about soccer at work that I figure it's as good a sport as any to make a movie about. I ended up falling in love with the story though, it was very uplifting. It was nice to see this kid making the most of his abilities. The main character, Santiago Munez, has some challenges to overcome, and the requisite "parent who doesn't believe in him" plot line, but overall the movie was quite effective. Effective enough to be spawning two sequels in the coming years!

Kuno Becker, the actor who played Santiago, is quite talented and very HOT! It was a real treat watching him play soccer. I would absolutely watch this movie again and recommend it to my friends!

1 comment:

Reel Fanatic said...

I am a natural sucker for sports movies, and especially that rare breed - soccer movies - and just wanted to second your opinion that this is a great one .. I like how it pushes right to the brink of being hokey, but never goes over the edge