Sunday, February 04, 2007

Sun Run Training Week 1

Once again this year, I'm doing the Sun Run. This year I'm actually training beforehand because I'm doing it with my mom and she really wants to train. Today, in the rain, wind, and near-freezing temperatures, we walked from Royal Oak Skytrain Station and Edmonds Skytrain Station (for those of you not from the Lower Mainland, keep reading as I'll be giving you actual numbers in a moment!). The walk took about an hour, roundtrip. Based on what I know about how fast I can walk and the distance I can cover, I estimated that we'd walked about 4 km. I was wrong. It was closer to 4.5! I felt good afterwards and I'm still not at all sore (yet! We'll seee how I feel tomorrow morning!) I still think setting the right pace is key. Anyway, before that walk I had spent a good 25 minutes walking in New Westminster (different story), so I'm guessing I walked about 2 km then. I suppose walking to and from work everyday has really done me good as even after mom and I stopped walking I felt as though I could have gone on much longer! We stopped for a couple of reasons . . . both of us had to go pee, it was really rainy and cold and we were getting pretty wet, and we were getting hungy! We had a good lunch of homemade soup and toast made by my stepfather - thanks Howie! Anyway, we're going to walk again next Sunday, and if the weather is decent we'll go down to the dikes in Delta and walk along the water. At this rate we should be in good shape for the April 15th Sun Run!

EDIT: It's now Tuesday morning (this post was originally made on Sunday night) and I haven't felt a bit sore from the long walk on Sunday. Things are looking good!

No comments: