Sunday, January 01, 2006

Happy New Year!

Well, it's officially 2006 - wahoo! Lots, and I do mean LOTS of important stuff happened in 2005, and looking back I would say it was a pretty good year. I am looking forward to even bigger and better happenings in 2006 . . . including my sister's wedding, which takes place in exactly 4 months!
With the beginning of a new year, many people take this opportunity to evaluate their life and make resolutions about what they will stop (or start) doing in the coming year. You know what? I don't make resolutions! I shouldn't have to wait until the beginning of a new year to resolve to do something differently, nor should I feel as though I have to change something because it's the start of a new year. For people who use the new year as a motivator to get things done, I say more power to you! For me personally, I have never found that I've kept any of my resolutions, and really only made them to please other people.
As a teacher I know that it would be very easy for me to walk into my classroom and ask my students to do a writing assignment about their New Year's Resolutions, but I don't think I'm going to do that this year. Instead, maybe I'll have my students reflect on the past year and write about their successes and failures, etc. Who knows?
What about you? Do you make New Year's Resolutions? Is this year's resolution to figure out the Canadian joke I posted a few days ago?

1 comment:

Dianne said...

Happy New Year, Kim!

Ok, I'm officially stuck on the joke... what is the punch line?

As for New Year's resolutions. I love 'em, because if I wait for another time of the year to resolve... I'll forget! And if I mess 'em up, I can always start fresh the next day. I like the idea of dedicating a time of year to thinking about how to improve life.

One resolution for 2006: to get to bed at a more reasonable hour. And on that note...