Monday, January 01, 2007

The obligatory "Happy New Year!" post

Happy New Year!

Now that's out of the way . . . let me tell you what I did tonight. Normally I don't really do anything for New Year's since to me it's just another day. Today was going to be more of the same, and if I was still awake at midnight, maybe I'd say happy new year to myself. That all changed at 4pm this afternoon however. My best friend called me to tell me that her asshole boyfriend had bailed on her at the last minute. She was pretty upset with him; they were supposed to go out to a function and he opted to go out with his friends instead. They have been going out for nine years and are on the verge of getting married (more on what I think about that at a later date). Because of how late he ended up calling to cancel on her, she couldn't get tickets to go out with some of her friends from work, so she called me. I had already told her I wasn't doing anything, so I invited her over to my place for dinner and Nintendo. We ended up having a really good evening! We went to White Spot for dinner. During dinner she said she wanted to see "Blood Diamond" with Leonardo DiCaprio. Since I wanted to see it to, I said "let's do it!" We drove over to the nearest theatre afterwards to discover that it was starting in 10 minutes. We never experience such awesome timing, so in we went (good movie, but very violent! Leo was really, really good in it. It's hard to believe he was once the "king of the world!"). After the movie we went back to my place and played Mario Party on my gamecube. The game finished about 5 minutes before midnight so we turned on the tv and watched the ball drop in Times Square. Then, because the First Night celebrations were happening at my local mall, the office tower of which I can see from my windows, we watched the fireworks (Jennifer, we had an awesome view! I told you I face the right direction!). Then we chatted for a while about the asshole boyfriend, then she went home (we weren't drinking so don't worry, no drinking and driving happening on our part tonight!) As a bonus, I spent close to an hour cleaning my apartment while she drove over from Vancouver, so the tidying I thought I wouldn't end up doing over my vacation did kind of get done! Sweet! Now, since I'm so awake still, I'm going to go to bed and watch an episode of "House" on DVD. Tomorrow is my last morning to sleep in before I go back to work on Tuesday :-(

1 comment:

Megan said...

Happy new year!
Glad it turned out for you both!