Saturday, May 10, 2008

Coffee

When I was younger (like in my early twenties) and someone had asked me "how do you like your coffee?" I would have replied "I like my coffee crisp!" (please tell me you recognize that commercial!!) Even though I learned how to make coffee at an early age (in my teens - it was the only way to ensure that my mom was in a good mood when she woke up!), I never developed a taste for it. I don't even think I tried it for the first time until I was in university or something. Never having pulled any all-nighters, I guess I figured I didn't need that infusion of caffeine ;-) These days, however, I've noticed that I'm drinking a lot more coffee than I used to. Don't worry, it's not like I've developed a 3-cup a day habit or anything, but it does make me wonder a bit.

Coffee never really ever interested me until I talked to my doctor one day about my headaches and migraines. She suggested that I buy an expresso when I felt a really bad headache coming on as the caffeine would dilate the blood vessels in my brain long enough to allow the medicine some time to work. After I explained that I don't even drink regular coffee, she agreed that a regular cup of java would probably do the trick. I have to admit, if I catch it at the right time and drink that cup of coffee early on, it does work remarkably well.

Drinking the occasional cup of coffee for my headaches also led me to the conclusion that if coffee works well for my bad headaches, maybe coffee would work well for those mornings when I'm really tired and having trouble waking up. That worked too! So these days, I think I am up to a cup of coffee in the mornings 2 or 3 days a week. Luckily I work in a place where the coffee is free, as long as someone actually gets around to making it in the morning! I almost NEVER make coffee at home, unless like this morning, I wake up with a headache that I want to get rid of quickly. I'm sitting here now, finishing my second cup of coffee and watching a season one episode of House on DVD. Life is good.

No comments: