Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Me in 6 Words

Dianne tagged me for this, and since I dare not disappoint her again with my lack of posting . . .

I have to describe myself in 6 words. This is going to be hard . . .

Wait, that's it!

WORK SHOULD NOT RUN MY LIFE

Anyone who has read my blog knows that my work is a big part of my life. Even when I'm not actually at work, I am thinking about work, dreaming about work, doing work at home, blogging about work . . . and the list goes on. I am young and should not be spending so much of my time devoted to work! More and more lately, I've been trying to leave my work "at work" (not that it's been working too well, and as we're coming to our busiest season, I don't anticipate this being too successful over the summer). I am getting tired of having SO much responsibility and feeling like I can't ever take time off or let myself rest for even a moment! Don't get me wrong, I generally do love my job, but I don't think work should be my entire life. I'm still at a bit of a loss as to how I can effect some lasting change in this area, but I guess acknowledging that it's time for a change is a good first step.

Now I'm supposed to tag some people. Not too many people read my blog (or at least comment to let me know they've been reading it). There's really only one person for me to tag right now, and that's my sister Jennifer. As she's in Japan right now, I don't expect her to complete this request any time soon, but that's okay. I've got time to wait :-)

3 comments:

vivacemusica said...

Hi Kim!

Randomly surfed onto your blog, and particularly enjoyed your "open letter to all teachers." I'm a teacher from BC too (got my B.Ed. from UBC in 2003), and have been teaching for the past five years in Inuvik, NT, at a girls' young offenders facility. I've often been told that I care too much as well, but my students are MY GIRLS, and I have definitely had sleepless nights worrying about them.

I'll be returning to Vancouver in July, and intend to head back to school to become a speech pathologist (especially when I know that BC teaching jobs are still hard to come by, and I think I enjoy small group / one-on-one more than classes of 30). I'm hoping to be able to work at a school setting once I'm done.

You sound like a wonderful, passionate teacher, and I'm glad to have found your blog!

Vicky

Dianne said...

Nicely done, Kim! (And thank you for obliging me :)

It's hard to "leave work at work" sometimes, but at the end of the day, I think we're all the happier and more relaxed for it. Good luck with this goal!

Kim said...

Vicky: Welcome to my blog! I hope all my work talk doesn't bore you to death! Thanks for the compliments about my teaching post - I too view my students as MY KIDS!

Dianne - I'm happy to oblige my regular readers and friends :-) I honestly will try and post more often!