Thursday, May 11, 2006

The best laid plans . . .

So I'm completed pissed off and frustrated right now. I was supposed to stop teaching next week in order to focus on administration and curriculum development. My replacement teacher, whom I began training yesterday, seemed to be a really good fit. Then this morning happened. One of the other teachers who teaches in my program quit this morning. No two weeks notice, no talking in person, just an e-mail saying "I quit". So my replacement teacher quickly became HIS replacement teacher and everything changed! Now they have to hire someone else to replace me, which means I'll be staying in class indefinitely. There have been lots of interviews lately so hopefully it won't be long, but it's so bloody frustrating! I'm glad to have a bit of extra time with my students, but this just represents another change for them and as a whole, none of the students are coping too well. There have been a lot of behavioural problems lately, and today was no exception. Today we had not one but two doors broken! The first door has a hole in it as a result of one of the students kicking it to try and get it open (the handle of the door is broken so if the door is closed, it doesn't open from the outside). The damage is unsightly, but fairly minor. The second door, however, came right off its hinges while some of the boys were fooling around. There were two girls standing behind the door and a couple of the boys decided to push against the door for fun. The door already had a crack in it from some previous damage, and the entire thing came off its hinges. Then, as a couple of the male staff members tried to remove the door from the doorway, the entire top ripped off! Turns out that in addition to the fooling around, the door is really cheap - it's made of particle board and it's hollow inside except for the random pieces of cardboard stuffed inside it. Sigh. At least tomorrow is Friday!

No comments: