Sunday, April 30, 2006

Counting my blessings

It's Sunday. I haven't been to Church (regularly) in a long time. It makes me feel a bit guilty, especially when I do go back for a Sunday service and get a warm reception (not to mention a healthy dose of "where have you been?" guilt). The reason I haven't been to Church in ages is simple - I've gotten lazy. Before I moved to my current place I used to have to either take a cab to Church (expensive at nearly $15 a ride), ask for a ride from a friend (which made me feel guilty and I HATED, above all else, to bug my friends for rides), or take the bus halfway and walk the rest (which took about half an hour, unless someone headed for Church stopped and picked me up along the way). Now that I've moved I have to take two buses to get to Church. It takes about 40 minutes. It's way easier to stay at home. I'm a horrible Christian. Since I haven't been going to Church regularly, I thought I'd take this time to make a list of my blessings. I strongly encourage everyone who is reading this to do the same.

1. It isn't raining outside.
2. I cleaned my house this morning. Finally. Let me say hooray for swiffer, vileda, tilex, and all other products that make cleaning just that much easier!
3. I'm getting my laundry done at home, and I've been lucky enough to have in-suite laundry at every home I've ever lived in.
4. I got to see a movie and have dinner with my best friend yesterday. My best friend has been talking a lot lately about marrying her longtime boyfriend and is thinking that December is a good month to get married. She says that I will be her maid of honour.
5. I know several people who are pregnant right now. Two are due in July and one is due in September. Hearing them talk about their excitement is contagious.
6. I have a newly married sister who is very happy.
7. I am in good health.
8. My mother is happily remarried and has an awesome husband.
9. I have a new, fast computer that I love playing with.
10. My students are learning! I marked their essays yesterday and without exception all of them have learned to indent their paragraphs, write topic sentences, and confine their paragraphs to one topic. If you knew my students, you would know what a huge accomplishment this was.
11. I have lots of friends at work who make the day pass much faster.
12. In my bedroom there are two big closets. Both are mine.
13. I have the unexpected blessing of a dishwasher. When I was looking for this place I never expected to get a dishwasher. My priority was the laundry.
14. I have money in the bank. Not a lot, but enough so that I don't have to worry about money every night before I fall asleep.
15. My wonderful mom and stepfather are coming over on Monday while I'm at work to fix a couple of small things in my place. Yes, this is what prompted me to clean this morning.
16. I have a step-brother and a step-sister on my mom's side and dad's side. All of us get along. How sweet is that?!
17. I have finally finished my TESL course, which gives me more work options.
18. I got a raise at work, so the paycheck I deposited on Friday was the biggest one I've ever deposited (don't get me wrong, I'm still barely above poor, but I like to think there's nowhere to go but up from here).
19. I can raise my left eyebrow independently of my right. This is a very useful skill when dealing with students as it tends to get their attention and signal that I'm not pleased with whatever they are doing/saying.
20. I completed the Sun Run last Sunday in two hours and twenty minutes. I know a lot of people who have never even attempted it. It was my SECOND time doing it and I felt frigging FANTASTIC when I was finished.
21. I have at least two books on my shelf that I haven't read yet and can't wait to start reading.
22. I get to borrow a DVD from my sister on Monday.
23. I bought a new purse yesterday.
24. I've met some cool people online by surfing blogs.
25. I live alone (no annoying roommates to bug me!) and don't have to answer to anyone.
26. I have not one, but two pairs of sexy boots.
27. I bought new clothes last weekend.
28. I still have a whole day ahead of me to do whatever I WANT!

That's one blessing for each year I've been alive :-)

1 comment:

Jenn said...

Wow! What a great list sis! Aren't dishwashers freakin' cool! You also forgot to mention that your students like you so much, that they want to leave the country because you won't be teaching them anymore :D