Saturday, April 15, 2006

I'm Finished! (Alternate title: I spent $749 on that?!)

Woot woot! Yup, those happy cries are coming from me 'cause I JUST FINISHED MY LAST ASSIGNMENT for my TESL course. Yup, it's true! My last assignment is finished - all I have to do is print it out and send it in! I started this online course about 6 months ago. Basically, I was told at work that I had to get my TESL certificate in order to continue teaching at my school. Despite the fact that I have a teaching degree from UBC, that apparently isn't good enough to teach in the ESL industry. This online course that I just finished was the cheapest course I could find that didn't require me to take time off work for a practicum. There are a couple of other people at work who are doing the same course right now too. I suppose we could have argued that it wasn't our fault the company hired us, and kept us employed, knowing our qualifications. But, since this was something I had thought about doing before, I figured I may as well get it over with now. At least this way I can say I have a TESL certificate if/when I apply for other jobs. Right now I'm just thinking about how I can celebrate this accomplishment since this course has taken up all my weekends for the past 6 months!! I did write once on this blog that I was going to go out and buy a new Nintendo game when I finished, so maybe I'll spend some time at Best Buy this weekend. Anyway, for now I'll just continue with the loud and proud "woot woot!"

3 comments:

Dianne said...

congrats! it's a great feeling, isn't it? :)

Des said...

Congrats! Shouldn't they be reimbursing you for that. I know, I'm an instigator.

Kim said...

Yeah, they should be reimbursing me for that, but I've already checked and they won't. Such is life. Of course now I don't feel obligated to stay with the company so if another job comes along I'm jumping ship!