Sunday, September 17, 2006

A Reason, A Season, or A Lifetime

“Friends are in your life for a reason, a season, or a lifetime.” Dr. Joy Browne.

I first heard that quote on the radio a long time ago and it’s stuck with me for years. I think it’s because for me it really rings true. When I think about all the friends I’ve had in my life I can identify the reasons, seasons, and lifetimes. I would also add to that category those friends who are so close to you that they are members of your family.

When I was in eleventh grade I met a guy named Chad. We became friends and stayed friends for over 3 years. He was the type of person who was always late to meet you, lied to you, and all the while tried to protect himself by hiding behind him mommy’s apron (yes ladies, he was a true “momma’s boy”). For some reason, even after he lied to me, showed up late for every single one of our outings, was inconsiderate and generally just a jerk, I continued to be friends with him. Finally, during one of my last years of University, I “woke up” and realized I deserved someone who treated me way better than he ever could. I basically “dumped” him and told him never to get into contact with me again. He seemed shocked that I could do such a thing, and I believe he said something along the lines of “doesn’t the word ‘friendship’ mean anything to you?” He was what I would call a friend for a reason. He taught me that I am a valuable person and I deserve to be treated with respect.

I have had many seasonal friends – people I hung around with for a while because we had classes together, but lost touch with once we finished the class. They were all good people and I sometimes wonder what they are up to now. My seasonal friends helped me explore different sides of my personality and made me just a little more adventurous.

There are a few people that I consider to be lifetime friends. These are special people who I know, no matter what is going on in our lives, I will always be in contact with. They are the ones, like my closest friends Sonja and Sheryl, who cheer me up when I’m sad, pick me up when I fall, and keep me from becoming a gigantic jerk. They mean more to me than anything and I know I can count on them whenever the chips are down.

In addition to those reason, season and lifetime friends I think I need to add a new category that I’m going to call blog buddies. These are the people whose lives I get to know through reading their blogs. Those people who I care about, cheer for, and pray for, but in many cases have never met. Some of these people you will find on my sidebar, others I have yet to discover. I'm sure they are out there though.

No comments: